Friday, July 20, 2012

Cleaning the dishwasher: aka- yuck!

This post highlights one of the more glamorous parts of housekeeping. ;)

Our dishwasher was supposedly brand new when we moved in to our apartment 2 years ago.  Since then, I've noticed a slow decline in it's cleaning abilities.  I was doing some looking on Pinterest, and I discovered that I might actually need to *shock* clean my dishwasher!  I looked on a lot of different sites, took a few ideas from each one, and this is what I came up with:

Step 1: Remove the filter on the door and clean. This was disgusting! I popped it off with a screwdriver (what I read said that if it came off easily, it was meant to come off, otherwise, get your hands off!)  I used the screwdriver to dig down (carefully) and get a lot of the gunk out, and then I used q-tips to do the rest.

I realized I better take pictures of this when I was almost finished cleaning it!
This is some of the grossness that came out! yuck!
Step 2: Remove the filter at the bottom of the dishwasher, and clean out.  Check holes for any clogs.  Again, I popped this off with a screwdriver.  If it's meant to come off, it will come off easily.  Otherwise, hands off!



Step 3: Check the spinny thing (that's the technical term I think) for any clogged holes.  I used q-tips to do this as well.

Step 4: Run 1 cup of vinegar on the top rack of the dishwasher. (I read some suggestions to run CLR through it, but I didn't have any, so I did this instead.)


Step 5: Sprinkle baking soda on the bottom, and run again.

My dishwasher was smelling fresh, and clean as a whistle!

For the past few years, I've made my own laundry detergent, and I've always wondered if you could make your own dish detergent.  Again, I looked around, and came up with this recipe.

1 c. Borax
1 c. Washing Soda
1/2 c. Lemi Shine
1/2 c. Kosher Salt


This is what it looked like mixed together.
Mix together.  I put mine in an airtight plastic container. Use 1 Tablespoon per load (I split mine probably 25/75 between the prewash, and the regular wash cups.   Fill the rinse aid cup with white vinegar.  Run as usual. 

Here's what my glasses looked like when they came out.  I'd say it's a success!


*Note: this is what worked for me, but it may not work for you.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment